Monday, April 28, 2008

Going Green?

Happy belated Earth Day! OK so I am a week late, who cares. Is Al Gore going to come find me and force me to plant a tree?

Actually our family (mostly me) is trying a few things to help the planet. We recycle newspapers, plastic, cans and glass. This has also kept us down to one garbage can per week! If something doesn't have enough of a taxable value to donate we place the item on Freecycle. I try to get errands done all at one time or a one stop shop place to save on fuel. For example at the grocery store I can rent a DVD, develop my photos, buy stamps and groceries all in one place. I have tried "green" cleaning supplies and have not been impressed. They are very streaky and twice the work.

My car gets great gas mileage. My car doesn't take ethanol. I wouldn't use it if it did. Using our food source for energy is scary and we shouldn't be doing it. Just take a look at grocery prices. Anything with corn has gone up in price! So have a lot of items but especially corn items. We are creating our own destiny people! If you drive a truck or SUV don't complain to me about the price of gas. Do you really need that large of a vehicle? I have never understood why people in the city need to drive such large vehicles (Ford Excursion, trucks, etc).

Happy belated Green Week everyone! Quincy is telling me he needs to go outside and contribute to the earth in his own way.

1 comment:

Jenifleur-de-lis said...

Carla -- I am like you, I try and do a little here and there to help the planet. I really dig the new reusable grocery totes that are everywhere right now...I detest plastic bags -- they always break on me. Cute blog and very cute dog!! ;0)

Jennifer