Thursday, April 10, 2008

Customer Service

In the past few weeks I have come across a few businesses that need to work on their customer service skills. Being a veteran of the customer service industry I feel I have a right to complain. I know when I receive good service and when I do the person is rewarded with a thank-you or sometimes I will call the 800 number and make sure the worker is given proper acknowledgement. To those who give me bad service beware I have a blog and I know how to use it! Ha, Ha.

On Tuesday Grant I shopped at Sam's Club. After bribing him with the promise of free samples at Sam's he obliged and graced me with his presence. After shopping for the usual (Pull-Ups and produce) I came to the check-out line. Two lines open! Considering at their busiest time (Friday night at 7PM) they usually have approximately 5 checkouts open this wasn't a surprise. I went to one line great no one there! The cashier walked away and was chatting with another employee. Never came back. Are you serious! Went to the next lane placed one item on the belt previous cashier came back saw me and said nothing. I gave her a look to know I was displeased and made a comment to Grant loud enough so that she heard it.

Two weeks ago our local newspaper was offering a great subscription rate for weekend subscribers to add on the weekly paper. I called and wanted more information. First time I called the customer service person admitted she was new and didn't know much about the offer. She read me the info which was fine and told her I would think about it and call back. The next day I called back and Elaine answered. I told her that I was interested in the spacial subscriber rate for weekend customers. "We don't just offer it to anyone" she said. As she went on and on I finally got upset and raised my voice (which is something I usually don't do to strangers) and had to talk over her to say I received this offer with my weekend paper. She shut up and told me she would send out the bank information. Received the information, sent it back. I waited another few days to receive my daily service. Irritated so I called them to see what was up. I was told that the billing information goes to the business office first. OK I said but it's been five days. The paper came the next day. If I didn't call I would still be waiting for my paper.

Last complaint I promise. We are planning on doing some landscaping this spring/summer. I called a company last week and they said that they would get back to me the following week. Well today is Thursday and no appointment has been set up. I called and gave the person my reason for calling. He looked up my info and had no record of me. He said and I quote "I must have threw your information in the garbage." Are you freaking kidding me!

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Carla, we had the same experience when trying to get someone to make cabinets for our house. He came over to do an estimate for the job and repeatedly told us how busy he was with other work. After waiting for him to call back we finally called him. He said that he must have accidentally thrown our specifications away and that he'd get back to us. He never did, of course. Now that the housing boom is over hopefully all the big money he made then makes up for all the sitting on his ass he's probably doing now. So anyway, I am pretty sure that "threw your information away" is contractor speak for "I am not intrested in your project." I am sure there are plenty of other landscapers who would be happy for the work.