Saturday, April 19, 2008

David

26 years go today my brother David passed away, he was only 17. Even though I was only 5 1/2 when the accident happened, some of my first memories have David in them.

David wasn't just my brother he was my playmate. I remember the motorcycle rides around the block, sharing a bag of chips in the family room & the vent between our rooms where David, Larry and Lori would try to pass me through. David had a tender side to him that you don't find in a lot of teen age boys. I remember one morning in kindergarten I didn't want to go to school but David took my hand and we walked to the the bus. Everything was better in my world because he was there. One day he brought home a Little Golden Book he found on the street, he was so happy to give it to me. It was a little beat up. I believe it is called "A Day on the Farm". I still have it and read it to Grant. One of my most vivid memories is the two of us dancing in the kitchen. I believe the song was I Love Rock N'Roll. People have said that where ever David was there were good times to be had.

Grant's smile some days takes my breath away, he looks just like David. When I see that smile I feel David's presence and it makes me smile.

David's passing has left some unanswered questions. I have always wondered what he would have done after high school. He was good at mechanics, I wonder if that would have been a career path for him. Who would he marry? Did he feel at peace when he died?. I guess those are normal questions people have when someone dies so young.

My heart goes out to my parents on this day. I can't imagine how it must feel to lose a child. They are the strongest people I know. They kept our family together through that difficult time and tried to keep us feeling normal even thought their hearts were broken.

We love and miss you David. I know you are looking down at us and will come to greet each and everyone of us when our time comes. Until them I cherish my memories of you and keep them close to my heart.

The follow words are lyrics to a song sung by Kenny Chesney. When I first heard the song it took my breath away. It sums up the feelings of loosing someone so close to you and the questions that you will always have.

Who You'd Be Today lyrics

Sunny days seem to hurt the most.
I wear the pain like a heavy coat.
I feel you everywhere I go.
I see your smile, I see your face,
I hear you laughin' in the rain.
I still can't believe you're gone.

It ain't fair: you died too young,
Like the story that had just begun,
But death tore the pages all away.
God knows how I miss you,
All the hell that I've been through,
Just knowin' no-one could take your place.
An' sometimes I wonder,
Who'd you be today?

Would you see the world? Would you chase your dreams?
Settle down with a family,
I wonder what would you name your babies?
Some days the sky's so blue,
I feel like I can talk to you,
An' I know it might sound crazy.

It ain't fair: you died too young,
Like the story that had just begun,
But death tore the pages all away.
God knows how I miss you,
All the hell that I've been through,
Just knowin' no-one could take your place.
An' sometimes I wonder,
Who you'd be today?

Today, today, today.
Today, today, today.

Sunny days seem to hurt the most.
I wear the pain like a heavy coat.
The only thing that gives me hope,
Is I know I'll see you again some day.

Some day, some day, some day.

No comments: