Thursday, October 28, 2010

PC Halloween

"Mom,I have to wear something wild and wacky for the party on Friday!" Grant said excitedly.Me thinking to myself: Oh, great it's hard enough getting him dressed everyday in something that matches athletic pants and not repeat outfits in the same 2 week period, plus Grant does not like to wear jeans.

Grant's class Halloween party is on Friday. I was surprised when I saw the helper sign-up sheet that it was actually called a Halloween party.  The usual party items are on the list: games, cookie decorating, orange drinks & prizes. No costumes will be worn. I would never expect this of course because it is a public school and someone might get offended by a Tinkerbell costume.  The wacky and wild will be celebrated! It's going to be crazy, kindergarten style!

I am not a Halloween enthusiast by any stretch of the imagination. A few cute window clings are on our door and jack-o-laterns will be carved soon. Nothing creepy or gruesome in our house! The boys will dress up and go trick-or-treating. Grant will be an Astronaut (although it's orange and he looks like an escaped convict) and Ben will be a pumpkin or a monkey, he is still deciding.

I feel that Halloween will be a bigger issue for me as the boys get older. Looking at the Halloween costumes for older boys this year I was not impressed! If you don't want to be a super hero or ninja there really is not much to pick from unless you want to be something in the Freddy Krueger variety.Costumes in the scary variety will not be tolerated. I feel that there is already too much evil in the world and I don't see the need for children to celebrate it.

Whatever you do this Halloween whether it's trick-or treating, attending a party, watching a movie or ignoring your doorbell I encourage you do it your way! I have to find something wild and wacky in Grant's closet...whatever that means.

No comments: