Sunday, October 17, 2010

Check the Shelves

We are a family of readers. Mark likes non-fiction books based on sports and politics. I enjoy fiction and SOME parenting books. I also enjoy reading books that are recommended to me but please no romance novels! We were thrilled when Grant starting enjoying books as a baby. His love of books has made him into a very good  reader for his age group.

You would think that since we all love to read we would be avid library patrons, well we used to be. We have had two experiences with Grant recently involving two libraries that I have vowed to just buy books for him and skip the drama of the librarian shake down.

Example one: I received a notice from the public library stating that a book was overdue. I thought that was strange since I keep the check-out receipt and usually mark the due dates down on the calender. I looked for the book for a few weeks thinking that the book would show up. Another notice came, I checked the car, tore apart the books and toys and still nothing. Another notice came, I figured I would just pay for the book instead of getting these notices thinking maybe we lost the book on a trip or it went into the garbage by accident.  I called the library stating my case that I am positive that the book was returned but I am willing to pay for the book if it can't be found. By the way the book would cost us over $30! The librarian said she would check the shelves and would get back to me. Guess where the book was? You guessed it on the library shelf!

Example two: Grant brings a book home from the school library. I asked him if he would like to read "Sing to the Stars". He replies "no, I don't like the book!" Apparently it was a case of judging the book by it's cover. He liked the pictures just not the story. The book stayed in his backpack and he brought it back to school the next day. Flash forward the following Monday. Grant tells me it was library day but he didn't get to check out a book because he didn't bring his book  back. He felt embarrassed because he was the only one who didn't get to check out a book. He was also frustrated because he told the librarian that he DID bring it back and she didn't listen and/or believe him. I went into his classroom the next morning and explained the situation to his teacher and Grant showed her exactly which bin  the book was dropped in. The following Monday Grant comes home with a new book. Guessed where it was found? ON THE SHELF. Apparently it was shelved wrong.

How hard is it to check-in and shelve a book correctly? I worked at the public library in high school and believe me it's not difficult! Grant will continue to check out his library books at school on Mondays and I will viligently make sure they are returned and prepare myself for the next kindergarten drama.

No comments: