Saturday, January 31, 2009

Joining the Facebook world

I always vowed I would never set up a Facebook page.

Whoops.

What brought me around? A few things. We had a strategic planning meeting at work a few weeks ago that we talked about the whole "social networking" phenomenon. As the youngest member of our management group, it really struck me that no one in the room had a Facebook page but everyone's kids basically did. I'm young enough to be the son of some of that management team.

Did you know the average age of a Facebook user now is 36? Stunned me. I would have bet money it would have been a late-20's type thing.

Also, I am on the alumni association board of directors for our local university that I graduated from, and now I see that a vast majority of students have Facebook (or Myspace) pages too. We have to understand how younger students think and interact, and Facebook appears to be the "window" that we can get access to that.

So, I've jumped over to the dark side. Let the experiment begin!

(Anyone wanna be my friend?)

No comments: