Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Exit Bush, enter.....?

I'm watching the crowds this morning assemble in our nation's capital for the inauguration of Barack Obama. I can't help but wonder what the next four years are going to be like.

I didn't vote for him. I don't like many of the things he stands for. I don't care if he's black, white, or any other color- I don't have to agree with him. I think the Democratic party in general will lead this country in a direction I'm not comfortable with.

But such is the result of elections in this country. I have a great deal of pride in my country and our democracy. I think it's amazing the way power transfers in such a peaceful fashion. But I do have mixed emotions.

I remember watching in 2001 when George Bush came into office and how excited I was to have a decent man in the White House after the scandals of the Clinton years. Today, I am sad to see a man leave the presidency who, while he may not have always made the correct or best decision, has been unfairly tarnished by a media who hates the Republican party in general, especially truly deplorable people like Keith Olbermann, Bill Maher and other left-wing bomb throwers who do nothing but complain about how much they hate Bush without offering any productive or constructive dialogue about how the country can move forward.

Let's not forget the Hollywood elitists who are on the Obama bandwagon because it's hip and cool and don't know jack-squat about anything that matters in this country. How Hollywood actors can know and/or care about what the average American is going through is beyond me. Those people should stick to reading their scripts and producing fictional works for our entertainment. I don't care about their politics, nor do I want to hear about them while they promote their next movie or appearance on Dancing With The Stars.

These are the same hypocrites that preach "going green" and then climb into their five-vehicle SUV posse to go nightclubbing in Los Angeles, get on their private jets to fly to Washington and go to one of the 960 inaugural balls and be "seen" by everyone. These are the same people who are willing to raise your taxes because they already make millions. In short, because they can play a character on the big or small screen and make a ton of money doing it, they feel they can tell you how to think. Scary thing is, many people listen to them because they don't have any independent thought of their own. Please, America, don't swallow everything Obama and his team give you at face value. Take a step back, think, analyze and objectively look at what is happening with your government, your country and your lives.

But, like many Americans, I am interested to see what happens after noon today. It's also different for me this time around as a father---this man will be the first president Grant grows up to know. I still remember watching Ronald Reagan as a very young boy and the influence it had on me-it will be interesting to see what mark Mr. Obama leaves on the youngest generation in his presidency. I hope it is for the best. At heart, I'm a cautious optimist. Good luck, Mr. President.

1 comment:

The Miller 6 said...

Well said. I have the same thoughts as you and pray for the direction this country is going. I just wanted to say I thought you nailed it on the head! Excellent.